BAE’s Arts Education Curriculum
BAE’s arts education curriculum presents music, dance, visual arts, and theater through an intersection of ideals, embodied in the best practices of Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), Culturally Responsive Sustainable Education (CRSE), Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), 21st Century Learning Standards, and the NYC Department of Education’s Arts Education Standards.
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL)
Students require a great deal of emotional support to grow and thrive. BAE’s arts education curriculum nurtures students to develop the core competencies of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision making. Through the incorporation of SEL, students are supported to express themselves through art forms, as well as supporting their fellow students through a classroom community.
Culturally Responsive Sustainable Education (CRSE)
BAE’s arts education curriculum engages each student to have a deeper experience with world cultures, by presenting supportive educational materials that take a local and global approach, empowering students to explore their rich cultural backgrounds.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI)
BAE promotes a learning environment that respects the ideals of diversity (respect for everyone's unique qualities and attributes), equity (ensured fair treatment & equality of opportunity), & inclusion (the invitation of contributions and participation of all people) to encourage each student to fully express their intersectional identities through the study of the arts.
21st Century Learning Standards
Fully understanding that students require the skills of critical thinking, communication, collaboration, & creativity to be successful students in the 21st Century, BAE’s arts education curriculums provide students with opportunities to explore these core competencies through the act of artmaking.
Arts Education Skill Sets
Through arts education instruction, BAE students obtain basic skill sets, presented through a scaffolded approach, with clearly defined benchmarks that energize them to make a deeper connection to their communities.
Take a closer look at BAE teaching artist, Evelyn Petcher, working with a group of students at PS1.
25+ DIFFERENT ARTS COURSES
Our teaching artists offer a dynamic, first-hand experience in all four arts disciplines
Our music courses develop knowledge of fundamental music literacy skills across multiple genres.
- Course offerings include: strings, woodwinds, guitar, brass, percussion(latin & african drumming), digital production, and chorus.
- Focus on rhythm, harmony, melody and musical forms
- Opportunities to make personal connections with the curriculum through discussions about the music
BAE offers a variety of art courses that emphasize key creative and social skills. Students will learn tools and techniques to produce art and discuss the elements and principles of design.
- Course offerings include: mural, drawing, painting, ceramics, set design, jewelry making, and fashion design
- Development of visual arts vocabulary to critically discuss and describe works of art
- Art-related reading and writing assignments to reinforce literacy skills
- Interpretation of artwork by providing evidence to support assertions
Movement courses, including dance, are designed with a focus on improvisation, choreography, and performance.
- Course offerings include: Hip-hop, African Dance, Tap, Modern, Step, Latin/Ballroom, Yoga, Ballet, karate, and Capoeira
- Competency in skill elements such as turns, jumps, and extensions
- Students develop improvisation skills through the combination of self-created movements
- Students will learn fundamental skills in choreography and create a dance from start to finish
- Students will make a presentation demonstrating dance techniques, phrasing, and personal style
Our theater courses are designed to engage students in programs that teach the value of literacy, as well as oral and cultural traditions of societies.
- Course offerings include: musical theater and drama through literacy(spoken word & poetry)
- Development of self-expression and empathy for others’ situations, visions, and ideas
- Introduction to universal and local themes and diverse ways of looking at the world
- Effective use of theater vocabulary when making and responding to performance
- Development of critical, analytical and writing skills through responding to dramatic literature
I am a….
Bronx Arts Ensemble
80 Van Cortlandt Park South
Bronx, NY 10463
Thanks to Bronx Arts Ensemble, I won a full scholarship to Alvin Ailey, a full scholarship to the Ailey Summer Intensive and a full year grant at Perri Dance. I graduated high school with honors and am now fulfilling my dream of becoming a doctor and helping people.Reynaldo M
Error: There is no connected account for the user 2274510029 Feed will not update.